Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day 115 - 8/18/12 - Crystal L - The Downward Spiral Begins!

Contents:  Snow Lakes - Mazama Campground, Crater Lake National Park (26.1 miles)

Well, we finally got woken up to a huge thunderstorm last night and I had to frantically pitch my tent in the middle of the night.  Love it! Everybody but Mud Flap was cowboy camped, so we were all in the same boat.  I did a half assed job getting my tent up and was quite worried that it was going to collapse during the night, but fortunately it stayed put.  I knew this night was coming and am almost glad to have it behind me.  Hard to believe I made it over 1800 PCT miles without using my tent except at the Kickoff.  Gotta love California weather!

I had an excellent day of hiking today.  I walked a few miles with Mellow this morning and most of the day with Action Pack who we caught at the first water after camp.  I had thought-provoking conversations with both.

We'd originally been planning to camp just shy of Crater Lake but changed plans and decided to go all the way after realizing there was no water for the last 17 miles into town.  After committing to get to town this evening, we started pounding out the miles, motivated by a pizza buffet mentioned in our guidebook.  Despite not leaving camp until close to 10, we knocked out the 26+ miles plus a road walk by shortly after 6.

A couple new strategies.....I ditched my watch today.  I still have it, but it's no longer on my wrist so I can't check it very 5 minutes.  Also, I caved and am now on the notorious Crystal L, the crack of the PCT.  Mellow's been trying to get me hooked for a while now (he tries to get all his women hooked on drugs!) and I couldn't take the pressure any longer.  Smiles is already on board and he is still working on Action Pack.  The drug is actually Crystal Light plus caffeine and it works wonders out here.  I think I'll be using it for the duration (and probably increasing my dosage) and will deal with the withdrawal when I get off the trail.

Dinner was a little disappointing food-wise, but we had a blast and undoubtably created a scene in the restaurant.  The AYCE pizza buffet didn't exist, but there was an AYCE salad bar which I enjoyed.  I was glad I went with the salad, as the pizzas that other people ordered tasted exactly like the dorm pizza at MSU.  You know it's bad when thru-hikers are complaining!

I'm currently camped at Mazama Campground with the people I hiked in with and many others.  Nugio's Dad, Sleeping Bare, paid for the site, Oregon and Sunset are here, and I don't think I'd seen them since Kennedy Meadows.....really great to catch up.

Town Chores tomorrow....I'm not sure what the plan for hiking out is, but I know there's a trail closure due to a fire.  I think there's a road and trail detour in place.  Argh!

Happy Anniversary to my parents!  Off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment