Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, September 27, 2012

Day 148 - 9/20/12 - Back With Shameless

Contents:  Spade Lake Trail Junction - Alpine Stream Camp (approx. 24.2 miles)

Well, I guess you can't say you've truly cowboy camped until a mouse runs across your head in the middle of the night! I survived the night but didn't get much sleep.  I wound up moving my sleep system to the other side of the small campsite, but this was more for a false sense of peace of mind than anything else.  I knew that mouse could find me and my food if he wanted to!

I wound up hitting the trail at first light.  I suspected that Team Slacker was camped at Deep Lake, about 4.5 miles ahead and I knew I might catch them in camp if I made good time.  No Team Slacker when I arrived, but I did run into Oregon who was just heading out.  He said the Mellow had just left camp with some folks I haven't met and the rest of the group was behind.  Apparently, the hot springs had been at capacity and they hadn't been able to get in the first night out of Snoqualmie Pass, but everyone except Mellow had hung out and gone the following morning.

It was nice to know almost everyone was behind me, and I took my time hoping they would catch up.  It felt good to take it easy especially after my restless night.  Lots more up and down today too.  After the east end of Waptus Lake, the trail veered north and headed up to Deep Lake.  From Deep Lake it switch backed up to Cathedral Pass.  I left a note for my friend Sunday at the Peggy's Pond Trail junction.  He's behind me (I think) and had asked me about possibilities for a good on trail zero.  I suggested Mt. Daniel which can be approached from Peggy's Pond.  He doesn't have a lot of route beta, but I told him what I could remember and showed him the Summit Post page.  I'll definitely be excited to hear how it goes if he gives it a shot.  After Cathedral Pass, the trail dropped pretty significantly and eventually crossed a substantial creek that drains Mt. Daniel's NE slopes.  I ate lunch there and hung out for quite a while to see if anyone would show up.  It was a cool spot and Shameless eventually rolled in.  It was good to see him.  He had seen Smiles, but it sounded like everyone else was pretty far back.

After Shameless ate, the two of us took off and had a great afternoon together.  The scenery was beautiful.  Lots of view of Mt. Daniel, though I didn't get any pictures.  This has been a tough section for taking pictures due to all the smoke.  The highlights of our afternoon were probably a 1,000-ish foot climb with super steep switch backs that we just cranked as the sun was setting and then dropping off the other side by Trap Lake in the dusky late evening light.  It was almost mystical with all the smoke.  

Shameless and I are currently camped in a meadow with some small streams about 12 miles south of Stevens Pass.  We have a good view of fires burning in the distance.  Once we hit the highway tomorrow, we'll head west into Baring where we're planning to stay with some trail angels.

Off to bed.  Hoping for a mouse-free night.

No comments:

Post a Comment